Without the support of our volunteers, Hospice Whanganui would be unable to offer the free care that our community currently receives.
When you join the Hospice Whanganui family we want you to feel comfortable and confident in your role and provide you with the knowledge and tools you will need to be successful in your role.
There are various opportunities available to volunteers through Hospice Whanganui. All volunteers are required to undertake training (components will vary depending on the role you have) and attend orientation which introduces you to our vision, values, philosophy, services, culture, and our way of being. By the end of the orientation you will have an understanding of Hospice’s holistic approach to death, dying, grief, and bereavement.
All volunteers undergo a police check and are required to provide references.
Your contribution to Hospice Whanganui as a volunteer benefits our community no matter how much time you can spare, or what role you have. Most of our volunteers work in rostered positions although with some roles, the timeframes are more flexible. How much time you can give and when, are things to consider when chatting about volunteering options.
Some of the roles our volunteers undertake include:
- Retail outlets – customer service; cleaning homewares; sorting clothing, books, toys, puzzles; pickup and delivery of goods; testing electrical appliances; polishing and cleaning furniture.
- Housekeeping duties in the inpatient unit such as, cleaning patient rooms and family areas; delivering morning tea; chats and companionship.
- Reception duties – answering the phone, directing visitor traffic and relaying messages, occasional assistance with admin projects.
- Gardening – maintain gardens at Virginia Road (doesn’t involve lawn mowing).
- Handyman tasks – odd small jobs, cleaning Hospice Whanganui community vehicles.
- Fundraising events – from assisting with catering, ticket sellers, event co-hosting, setting up and decorating rooms for events, etc.
Contact us for more information.